Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Working on the new engine.


One of my favorite parts of creating games is designing the engine. Every game I make has a completely new game engine, and every one turns out to be better than the last. An engine defines what the game is capable of. The more time I spend programming a game, the more I end up wanting to stretch those limitations. Thats why I couldn't reuse the old Enigmata engine, because there is so much more I want to do with Genu's Revenge. And even now that I am half way done with the sequel, I'm thinking up ideas for an even more powerful engine.

One of the cool things about this new engine is that the enemies can have the same skills that you have. If you can shield, so can enemies. If you can use a Mega Blast or Nithilum Push, some enemies will have that skill too. This makes enemies much more challenging that in the original.

Also the game is much more customizable now, with the ability to place skills where you want them. In Genu's Revenge you can place skills on the numbers 1 through 9. You then activate the skills while in battle by pressing those numbers, either the regular numbers or in the Num Pad. Its not mentioned in the game, but those skills 1-9 correspond to the keys Z,X,C,V,B,N,M, etc. So essentially you can recreate the Enigmata 1 controls.

Currently the game runs much faster than its predecessor, this is mainly due to the fact I learned a lot of optimization techniques. Also I used cacheAsBitmap much more efficiently in this version. Hopefully more people will be able to play the game without lag. This is one of my main achievements in this game.

1 comment: